Bob’s Weekly Reading Picks
2019.7.21 volume 28
1.The Ultimate Guide to B2B Marketing in 2019
2.The Pro Marketer’s Product Launch Checklist- Whiteboard Friday
3.What is Programmatic Advertising? The Ultimate Guide (2019)
4.What is Mobile App Marketing?
5.Retargeting 101: Best Practices to Maximize Your Results
6.What is Marketing Automation?
7.The Ultimate Guide to Digital Marketing
B2B VS B2C
|FOR B2B MARKETING||FOR B2C MARKETING|
|Goal||Customers are focused on ROI, efficiency, and expertise.||Customers are seeking deals and entertainment (which means marketing needs to be more fun).|
|Purchase Motivation||Customers are driven by logic and financial incentive.||Customers are driven by emotion.|
|Drivers||Customers want to be educated (which is where B2B content marketing comes in).||Customers appreciate education but don’t always need it to make a purchase decision.|
|Purchase Process||Customers like (if not prefer) to work with account managers and salespeople.||Customers like to make purchases directly.|
|People Involved in Purchase||Customers often have to confer with decision makers and other members of their chain of command before making a purchase decision.||Customers rarely need to confer with others before making a purchase decision.|
|Purchase Purpose||Customers make purchases for long-term solutions, resulting in a longer sales cycle, longer contracts, and longer relationships with companies.||Customers aren’t necessarily looking for long-term solutions or long-term relationships.|
B2B Marketing Strategies
B2B Email Marketing
Write enticing subject lines
Stick to one call-to-action (CTA) per email
Segment your email to reach the most relevant audience
Make sure your email designs are responsive
Don’t be afraid of the cold email
B2B Digital Marketing
Define your target audience
Create your website
Optimize your digital presence
Run PPC campaigns
B2B Content Marketing
B2B Social Media Marketing
- A defined audience, accompanied by a list of 10–100 real, individual people in the target group
- List of 25–500 influential people in the space, + contact info and an outreach plan
- List of influential publications and media that influencers and target audience members consume
- Metrics for success
- Promotional schedule with work items by team member and rollback plan
- FAQ from the beta/test period, from both potential customers and influencers
- Media assets & content for press/influencer use
- Paid promotion triggers, metrics to watch, and KPIs
- A great set of answers and 100% alignment
Related: How to Launch a New Product by HubSpot
- Learn about your customer.
- Write a positioning statement.
- Pitch your positioning to stakeholders.
- Plan your go-to-market strategy.
- Create promotional content.
- Prepare your team.
- Launch the product.
RTB (Real-Time Bidding)
RTB is a way of buying and selling ads through a real-time auction, meaning a transaction is made during the time it takes a webpage to load; around 100 ms.
Real-Time Bidding is just one part of the programmatic advertising ecosystem.
- Real-Time Bidding
- Programmatic Direct
- Private Exchange buying (PMP)
Top ad exchanges 2019
Microsoft Ad Exchange
Rubicon Project Exchange.
DoubleClick, was acquired by Google in 2008
Data Targeting (Audience Targeting)
Geo-Targeting (Location-Based Targeting or Geo-Fencing)
Programmatic Advertising Cost
On average, programmatic CPMs range around $0.50 to $2 CPM.
DSP: A demand-side platform is a tool or software that allows advertisers to buy ad placements automatically.
SSP: publishers use a Supply-Side Platform to manage their display space
DMP: data management platform is used to collect, store and sort information.
Ad Exchanges: publishers meet advertisers and agree on a price to display their ads. It functions much like the trading floor of a stock market, but for digital display advertising.
Increase Downloads | App User Acquisition
- App Store Optimization (ASO)
- Google, Facebook, and Twitter Ads
Engage Users + Increase Retention| Mobile Engagement Marketing
- Push Notifications
- In-App Messages
Daily/monthly active users
Time in app
Lifetime value (LTV)
- App store promotion
Choose the right app store (Google Play and Apple stores)/
Keywords optimization/Eye-catching profile/Rates and reviews
- Mobile Advertising Agencies
- App Reviews ( Appadvice, Hongkiat or Thenextweb)
- Social Media
- Appealing Website
- The power of sharing button
- Promo video
What is Programmatic advertising
Programmatic advertising refers to buying and selling available ad spaces, or inventory, online. Today, programmatic advertising is typically bought through real-time bidding (RTB).
What is retargeting?
Retargeting enables marketers to deliver personalized content to users who have previously visited their sites.
How does retargeting work?
Requirement: a website with More than 500 monthly site visitors
Retargeting on the web/social/mobile/CRM
Dynamic ads, prospecting, cross-device retargeting
Marketing automation is technology that manages marketing processes and multifunctional campaigns, across multiple channels, automatically.
How does marketing automation work?
You collect customer data through many interactions: emails, website visits, app usage, on social media, and so on. This data helps create a 360-degree view of each customer.
From there, marketing automation does all the work: streamling segmentation and targeting processes to determine the right audiences, quickly and at scale.
What are some marketing automation best practices?
Some best practices to keep in mind when designing your marketing automation strategy:
- Define and present your goals.
- Collaborate with other teams
- Create process visualizations.
- Prepare for database segmentation.
- Prepare your content strategy. Build your content library. Create interesting, engaging, and relevant messaging designed to reach all stages of the customer lifecycle.
- Plan for a slow rollout. Test early and optimize the next block of programs to give yourself the best chance of success.
- Analyze as you go.
Chapter1: Your Digital Marketing Strategy Template
Chapter2: Developing a Content Marketing Strategy
Chapter3: Crafting a Digital Advertising Plan
Chapter4: Developing a Social Media Strategy
Chapter5: Following Email Marketing Best Practices
Chapter6: Designing Your Search Marketing Strategy
Chapter7: Applying Website Analytics to Your Digital Marketing
Chapter8: Leveraging Conversion Rate Optimization to Drive Growth
Related: Digital Marketing Guide