Bob’s Weekly Reading Picks
2019.11.3 volume 43
1.How Can Affiliates Be Successful in 2020
2.Machine Learning 101
4.Understanding searches better than ever before
5.The Ultimate Guide to Integrated Marketing
6.American business schools are reinventing the MBA
7.50 Companies to Watch in 2020
Deliver incremental sales
Affiliate can get closer to incrementality by assessing what it means to their brands and creating offers that feed into this definition.
Fashion retailer needs to sell underperforming stock, affiliates should be looking for ways of promoting sale items and tracking the uplift in performance.
It’s the same for retailers that want to improve their margin, increase their profit or capture new customers.
Take a data-dominated approach
Try using data at the following points:
- To identify customers in the market to buy
- For better understanding your target audience
- To select the offer or message that is most likely to convert your customers
Make use of network innovation
Take the example of CJ and its Content Monetisation Suite: a gateway for premium opportunities. Our own platform has benefitted massively from Awin and Rakuten’s respective master tags, which have allowed brands to instantly “switch on” RevLifter for their programmes.
Harness the power of voice search
ComScore estimates that 50% of all searches will be made through voice command by 2020, while Gartner has them coming in at around 30%. Either way, if you don’t have voice search baked into your customer journey, you could miss at least one-third of all future search traffic.
Embed automation into your strategy
For advertisers, this could lead to a greater reliance on technology for tackling menial duties, like the paying of commission and uploading of product inventory.
One example sees the pulling of product feed information, voucher codes, offers and creative elements straight onto an application programming interface (API) for use with their campaigns.
Two primary types of ML
- You have supervised, which is where you’re basically feeding a model labeled training data,
- And then unsupervised, which is where you’re feeding a program data and letting it create clusters or associations between data points.
What are the machine learning possibilities in SEO?
- Automate meta descriptions
- Automate titles
- Automate image alt text
- Automate 301 redirects
- Automate content creation
- Automate product/page suggestions
- Google Codelabs
- Andrew Ng has an incredible machine learning course
Think of international SEO as geotargeting, but instead of optimizing your website to attract traffic from your city or state, you’re optimizing it for different countries and languages.
Specify your target country and/or region with an international-friendly URL structure (country targeting).
Establish which language your pages are targeting with the use of language tags (language targeting).
Create and maintain content in your target users’ language(s). These are the raw materials with which you’ll actually rank.
Other SEO signals
Hosting your site on a local IP
Linking to local content
Building links from local resources
Finding ways to rank on local search engines like Yandex in Russia and Baidu in China
Often times, we come to Search looking to learn–we don’t necessarily have the knowledge to begin with.
BERT: Bidirectional Encoder Representations from Transformers.
BERT models can therefore consider the full context of a word by looking at the words that come before and after it—particularly useful for understanding the intent behind search queries.
For the first time we’re using the latest Cloud TPUs to serve search results and get you more relevant information quickly.
What is integrated marketing?
Integrated marketing is the process of arranging your different marketing channels to work in tandem to promote your products or services, typically through a strategic campaign.
How to Build an Integrated Marketing Campaign
- Establish your overarching campaign goal
- Choose your marketing channels and set goals for each one
- Define your buyer personas by channel
- Identify your channel managers
- Create adaptable marketing assets and messaging
- Establish your plan for collecting leads
- Launch, measure, and iterate your campaign
|Traffic/reach||Unique page views by channel and source|
|Engagement||Bounce rate; average time on page|
|Top (and falling) content||Top page views; top exits|
|Impact||Click-throughs; conversions; backlinks|
|Sentiment||Comments; social shares|
|Lead generation||Total leads; total sessions; session to lead conversion rate|
|Sales||Lead to marketing qualified lead (MQL); MQL to sales qualified lead (SQL); customer purchase/closed-won business|
- Advertising (both print and PPC)
- Direct marketing
- Email marketing
- Personal selling
- Sales promotions
- Digital marketing (e.g. website, content marketing, and SEO)
- Social media
- Events and sponsorships
- Visual guidelines (logo, color palette, typography, etc.)
- Any developed and repurposed assets in multiple file formats
- Voice and tone guidelines (taglines, preferred language, words to avoid, etc.)
- Messaging guidelines (pain points, goals, types of content, resources, etc.)
- Buyer persona information and guidelines
- Financials: Aegon
- Financials: AIA
- Financials: AIG
- Media: Altice Europe
- Apparel: Anta Sports
- Health Care: AstraZeneca
- Media: AT&T
- Industrials: Bayer
- Food: Beyond Meat
- Telecommunications: BT
- Technology: CD Projekt
- Infrastructure: Cellnex
- Financials: China Evergrande
- Beverages/Cannabis: Constellation Brands
- Technology: Contemporary Amperex
- Industrials: Cree
- Health Care: CVS Health
- Health Care: Daiichi Sankyo
- Energy: Enterprise Products
- Technology: Facebook
- Autos: Fiat Chrysler
- Financials: Global Payments
- Financials: Goodman Group
- Health Care: Johnson & Johnson
- Food Technology: Just Eat
- Technology: Keyence
- Food: Kraft Heinz
- Apparel: Lululemon
- Technology: Motorola
- Energy: MPLX
- Media: Netflix
- Technology: Nidec
- Technology: Nutanix
- Energy: OMV
- Technology: Pinduoduo
- Financials: Ping An
- Media: Roku
- Industrials: SalMar
- Technology: Samsung
- Energy: Schlumberger
- Industrials: Siemens
- Financials: Standard Life Aberdeen
- Telecommunications: T-Mobile
- Autos: Toyota
- Industrials: Travis Perkins
- Energy: Tullow Oil
- Technology: Uber
- Autos: Volkswagen
- Financials: Wharf Reic
- Health Care: Zimmer Biomet