Q: As an analyst, what are you looking for when reviewing a client’s performance?
A: Naturally, my eye will gravitate towards deltas in performance data – differences are where we find the most insights. This may mean different growth rates for different products, publishers showing variable approval rates for different products, or shifts in click traffic growth over time.
Q: Can you give some examples of optimizations that you might recommend based on trends that you see in the data?
A: Where possible, and where publishers can optimize on said data, providing publishers with clear knockout criteria to use in deeper media targeting can introduce strong improvements in program performance and drive approval rates up with low cost.
Q: What do you hear most often when working with publishers?
A: Additional data on the ‘why’ behind decisions on applicants – to be able to see deeper than just the decision. This information can often be used to build better traffic models for the publisher, to ensure that they are driving the most qualified consumers possible to an offer, which (in theory) helps both improve Publisher EPC and Advertiser approval rates.
Q: What trends do you see happening in the financial services industry that may impact how brands manage their affiliate marketing programs?
A: To optimize their programs even further towards high-LTV consumers, to avoid consumers who are potentially gaming the system, and to encourage a positive mix of revolvers/transactors for the overall consumer portfolio.
Proper Tracking and Crediting
- ITP 2.2 Compliant and Supports Parallel Tracking
- Attribution Options Which Support Program Goals
- Social and Influencer Technologies Available (cookieless tracking)
- Cross Device Tracking to Bridge Devices and Browsers
- Fraud Protection to Ensure Legitimate Relationships Prosper
- Network Advocate Who Understands Your Brand or Promotional Method
- Communicate Program Goals Clearly
- Meet Regularly with Network and Partners
- Leverage Network Knowledge to Seek out New Partnerships
- Be Authentic—Ask, Listen, Surprise and Thank
- Use Network Technologies to Automate Labor Intensive Tasks
- Programmatically Enforce Program terms Through Network
- Use APIs and Affiliate Pixel Integration to Integrate with Network
- Stay on top of New Network Technologies and Functionality
- Speak Up (Loudly and Often) About Requested Technological Improvements or New Ideas
- Communicate and Celebrate Your Differences
- Seek Out Relationships That Will Prosper From your Strengths
- Target Affiliate Type or Merchant Category Based on Program APIs
- Look Beyond Affiliate Type or Merchant Category
- Recognize That Diversity Takes Time
Optimization of Program
- Use Network Data to look Deeper Than Overall EPC
- Empower Your Relationship Partner with Data from Network
- A/B test to Optimize on Creative, Promotional Source, Day and Time of Week, Device Type, etc.
- Merchants Should Strive to Align Commissions and Revenue
- Shift Time Towards More Profitable Ventures
According to eMarketer 60% of all ecommerce is coming from APAC, with China playing the dominant role along with fast-growing markets such as India.
A 2018 PayPal cross-border study revealed that 54% of shoppers located in Australia have bought from overseas.
The Americas, Europe and the Middle East are also strong contenders.
Cross-border shoppers make purchases in countries/regions outside of their core market. They value authentic products and are price sensitive.
Make sure you are globally privacy compliant.
- Track all global consumer transactions through an affiliate program.
- Have a clear understanding of your international order/shipping/return policies.
- Determine your global/local consumer focus: cross-border, local, or both.
- Find out what products/services have converted best in a given country.
- Work with other internal departments (finance, shipping, legal, etc) to ensure legitimate international orders are not cancelled by default, and that you have global shipping capabilities and/or can work with freight forwarders.
- Track the global distribution of your audience and take any expansion plans into consideration.
- Understand how your digital consumers interact within the countries/regions that you focus on. What is unique about their shopping behaviours?
- Determine the type of advertisers and offers that best convert with your local and/or cross-border audience. Then, run campaigns to introduce new advertiser products to those global audiences.
Affiliate Network/Agencies/Solution Providers:
- Determine your countries/regions of focus.
- Understand any new trends in these countries/regions.
- Know the top 50 advertisers and publishers for each of these countries/regions.
- Decide the advertiser and publisher verticals focus on.
- Learn the affiliate verticals that work best in your target countries/regions.
- Understand the current affiliate landscape in each market.
- Create a plan for localization, affiliate payout, and other areas of support.
- Secure proper program management and data science capabilities to create a customized global/country launch plan.
- Enable network compliance for compliant traffic and transactions.
An SEO audit is a checklist to see if your site is compliant.
Purpose = improving SEO metrics.