Below is the study notes of the book Digital Marketing Strategy: An Integrated Approach to Online Marketing by Simon Kingsnorth.
This book is not up to date with digital marketing changing fast, so I combined it with related materials for your reference.
- What is digital marketing?
- Business consideration
- Digital marketing channels: SEO, PPC, Display, Social, Content
- User experience, CRM, Personalization, Customer Service
- Analytics and Reporting
1. What is Digital Marketing?
Marketing Strategy Models
STP: segmentation, targeting, positioning
segmentation: geographic, demographic, psychographic, behavior–persona
4P: product, price, promotion, place
Porter’s five forces: Threat of new entrants, Threat of substitutes, Bargaining power of customers, Bargaining power of suppliers, Competitive rivalry
2. Business Consideration
- mass-market B2C
- niche B2C
- regulation (e.g. privacy)
plan your strategy
3 questions for marketing strategy
- where are we now? (situational analysis–SWOT)
- where do we want to get to (goal–SMART goal)
- How do we get there (strategy–STP & 4P)
Goal, objective, strategy, tactics （action plan）
For example, a team of 20 marketers
- 1 director, 3 senior managers, 6 managers, and 10 executives.
They work 40 hours a week.
- Everyone in that team has some admin to do every week such as expenses, invoicing, time management, etc.
- The managers also have people management responsibilities such as signing off holidays, running reviews, recruiting, etc.
- Senior managers will also have strategic plans to write, business projects to be involved with, budgets to plan, contracts to negotiate, etc.
- The director will also have the overall department strategy, board meetings, pay reviews, and other strategic projects.
4. Digital Marketing Channels: SEO, PPC, Display, Social, Content
For this part, I would suggest taking a look at the digital marketing guide series and the introduction to all digital marketing channels.
- on-page SEO, off-page SEO, technical SEO
- Google algorithm update
- Google ranking factor
- SEO and content, social, mobile, local
Related: learn SEO all in one.
basics: keyword, ad copy, match types, metrics, bidding, brand hijacking
Search intent: informational, navigational, commercial, transactional
Learn more about Google ads.
development: publisher–ad network–ad exchange (DSP)(programmatic)
retargeting & prospecting
social account for customer service and reputation management
social media tool:
- account management: buffer, Hootsuite
- social monitoring: Brandwatch, Social Bakers
social network: Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok…
Social media rankings over 15 years:pic.twitter.com/PAhI4vhds5
— Jon Erlichman (@JonErlichman) September 30, 2019
content marketing institute: https://contentmarketinginstitute.com/
5. User experience, CRM, Personalization, Customer Service
Tools for UX research
- heatmap software: crazy egg
- usability test
- ethnographic models
- eyeball tracking
- A/B testing: Optimizely
- CRO (cross-selling, up-selling…)
CRM system feature
- customer support automation
- marketing automation
- sale force automation
- contact center support
ladder of loyalty: suspect–prospect–customer–client–advocate
customer service principle
- online content (how to …)
- live chat
- social account
6. Analytics and Reporting
server-based analytics vs tag-based analytics
tools and technology
- web analytics: Google Analytics, Adobe analytics…
- social analytics
- SEO analytics
- tag management
presenting your strategy
- decision making
- key channel benefits
- how channels interact (attribution)
- further consideration (trends, competitive research, technology, legal, in-house vs agency)
- structuring your proposal
- advocacy (relation management)